First task of this holiday has been completed... to get the irregular check-up of my HIV status. It's been nearly 3 years. Monday morning 9am there I was phoning for my appointment. I am proud to say my preventative measures (condomise, fooling around rather than penetrative sex, and knowing my partners' status...) have paid off and I am HIV Negative!!
Thank you to the crazy staff at the Sandown Clinic for the chats and damn painful free finger prick test. I arrived at 11h30 & was out by 12h30, knowing much more about "Me". They didn't really know what to do with me, as I am as trained as them to counsel people before and after HIV tests, and I even have the rapid tests in my cupboard. I just refuse to test myself, just in case that 95% certainty threw up the other worrying 5%.
Anyway, I always recommend that everyone goes to have the test done as often as you care to. Your local clinic should either offer free testing or be able to refer you. To those of you in the northern Jo'burg suburbs, I do highly recommend the Sandown Clinic. It is right next to The Michaelangelo (N.Mandela Square), which also the biggest irony I think SA has yet thrown to me. I was the only white patient in the tiny place. I suggest that you book, as you jump the very long confused queue. Plus they do not offer HIV testing 24/7, but on certain days at certain times. Their phone number is 011 883 7833.
Anyway, after clearing that up, it has been all lunches, dinners, happy hour 2-for-1-cocktails, while others sit in traffic on their way home....Good Times.