Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Approval Junkie

What is Art and all that philosophical crap?

Is it technical brilliance, or pictorially interpreting the self onto canvas. The self could be you, me, society, blah blah blah. The canvas could be canvas, film, paper, steel, whatever.

Centuries of debate on this have not led to a no conclusive agreement. Of course not. That just would make it boring. And boring is, well, not Arty.

For me, I like some Art-posing thing if it makes me think. Think anything. Think out of my norm. You can go to an extreme, I can cringe, but that won’t make me like or hate you – the cringe could still be mundane. But when an artist makes me question. Leaves an Impression. Toys with my thoughts and ideals. Makes my mind shout, “Yes! That’s how to depict that!”

So, say what you want about REVOLVER, but it definitely had moments of making me think out of the dvd box:

"Jake Green: There is something about yourself that you don't know. Something that you will deny even exists, until it's too late to do anything about it. It's the only reason you get up in the morning.

The only reason you suffer the shitty puss, the blood, the sweat and the tears. This is because you want people to know how good, attractive, generous, funny, wild and clever you really are. Fear or revere me, but please, think I'm special. We share an addiction. We're approval junkies.

We're all in it for the slap on the back and the gold watch. The hip-hip-hoo-fuckin' rah. Look at the clever boy with the badge, polishing his trophy. Shine on you crazy diamond, because we're just monkeys wrapped in suits, begging for the approval of others".


Is it “Art”?

Does it matter?

2 comments:

Sunrise said...

Ta Champs, stoked for the advise, you gave me, as well as a comment on my page! YAY!

On todays post, I saw FAME last night, and one character in the flik, has concerns that she is to plain to be an actress by she is a damn good one. I think that bad actress/artists etc need to highlight themselves in other mannerisms if they are not confident about their abilities...

Champagne Heathen said...

An absolute pleasure! I must get back to your page when I have decent time so I can actually comment decently.

As might have to happen now. I can't think by this stage. But yes, explore all areas/ abilities to open up other opportunities & all that.

Couch and snooze time now...