Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Welcome back to The World Of Work

How long does it take you to get over a job after being unemployed for 6 months?

….uhh, what week are we in now?

Less than 4 weeks!

Helped along by the loss of First Pay Cheque by Admin;
That I am still desk-hopping because the boss hasn’t found me a space yet (doesn’t remember that he needs to);
And the darling boss and I had one of those parallel conversations the other day where it sunk into me like as inevitable wall of cold dread that we both have very very different ideas about how we want this all to go & what we want produced;
And that his ideas mean I have no clue what on this sweet earth is going on or how I am going to pull this one off.

All this proves….!

A job is a job is a job.

No matter what over-air-conned fluorescent spot of this Office Space globe you are sitting on.

Where the one colleague smiles too much and just sees the world too well. Getting up for coffee means small talk and polite chuckles with people you were never really introduced to. Where people all try to be politically correct but you know exactly who they are bitching about, even if you have yet to meet that person not really mentioned by the in-circles-talking. And your window (well, one of the desk I hop on & off…) faces a brick wall.

A job is a job is a job.

But all of this is improved by the fact that I have something new for one other day a week!!

What once was called “slavery” now is apparently re-termed as “Volunteering”

Unpaid technical work done for some organisation that has taken on the simple task of trying to close the global wealth gaps.

Eaaaaasy!

Especially when there’s bugger all money in my bank account motivating me on!

Welcome back to The World Of Work.

(And deargod no! The organisation is not that crazy Marxist place! The one that has sucked me in actually believes in dialogue & considering ranges of perspectives in calm rational manners. Or so they told me during Round 2 of interviews. 2 interviews for a job I won’t be paid for…. )

3 comments:

Don't believe a word I write said...

"2 interviews for a job I won’t be paid for…."

I's confused. Am you, or am you not getting paid?

Louisa said...

2 interviews for a job you won't get paid for sounds a bit hectic!

Champagne Heathen said...

DBWAIAEIEIO -

One job I am getting paid for, work 3 to 4 day at, and don't have a fkcing clue what it actually really is.

The other "job" is actually volunteering, is far more interesting & probably will actually have good outcomes for all involved (hopefully one being that I can get a good job that pays in the international political sector). But, for now, NO PAY!! Sob.

Louisa - I know! I was a bit stunned by the whole process, and kept hoping that the seriousness meant they'd be giving me a REAL job at the end of all the questions. But no. Sob.